Saturday, October 19, 2013

My BIG project


My big project is the kooky Kraft klub . 
In 2011 I set out to use my textile skills and industry experience to create a creative space that incorporated a studio , an arts and crafts supply store. 

I set about researching craft in my local community . 
I started a free social craft group and began trialing some of my workshop ideas with them . 

I quickly realised that the vintage crafts were the domain of the older generation . 
The younger people of my community were not coming to my groups . 
These great crafts were being lost as these older folks passed away . 

It made me sad as I'm a great lover of all that is vintage . 
I wanted to show the younger generation the Beauty of craft . 
So I began Sourcing vintage , quality and unusual supplies for designers and makers alike to use in workshops . 

One of my first workshops was to teach people how to make sock monkeys - A very kitsch American craft . 


In the interim I had worked extensively as an artist for the Hobsons Bay City Council and met some amazing crafters   that I wanted to continue to work with . 

This gave  me the idea that I could incorporate them in my big project . 

I then began researching Social enterprise company's . 

I wanted to create a social enterprise that valued artisans . Particularly those working and preserving the vintage crafts.

After a two year of research , trialing and buying materials I took the biggest plunge of my life and launched the kooky Kraft klub ! 


The Kooky Kraft Klub is now a street front store in yarraville melbourne currently being managed by Me and my family .

 We sometimes draw on the generosity of our collective of local artisans to help run the store during busy retail times in the year ie valentines day , Mother's Day and especially the Christmas period . 

It is my biggest work in progress ( wip) or unfinished object (UFO) but I have faith that it will be the ride of my life with the destination an incredibly creative company recognised world wide ! 



3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to come and visit you soon! Love seeing people follow their passions. Ramona x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ramona ,
      My motto has always been " do what you love love what you do " so I think I'm finally getting there ... Looking forward to seeing you soon too xx

      Delete
  2. Yayy!So glad you started writing a blog..My visit to the store is still pending ..Wishing you lots and lots of luck with this WIP..
    xoxo
    Trishna

    ReplyDelete